Illinois Community Colleges are at the forefront in preparing students and workers for entry and advancement in exciting green careers. These new jobs are defined by the Bureau of Labor Statistics as:
- Positions in businesses that produce goods or provide services that benefit the environment or conserve natural resources.
- Positions in which responsibilities include making their organization’s production processes more environmentally friendly or use fewer natural resources.
Green careers can include work in agriculture, manufacturing, construction, installation and maintenance as well as scientific and technical, administrative and service related that contribute to preserving or restoring environmental quality. These include efforts to:
- Protect and restore ecosystems and biodiversity.
- Reduce energy, material and/or water consumption through high-efficiency.
- Minimize or avoid waste and pollution.
Additional information and support is available at:
- Clean Jobs Illinois – Provides an up-to-date in-depth look at Illinois’ Clean Energy Employment.
- Illinois Green Jobs Survey – A comprehensive current survey of the green jobs industry in Illinois.
- Illinois Labor Market Review: Green Jobs – The latest news from the Illinois Department of Employment Security.
- National Solar Jobs Census – An annual update of current employment, trends, and projected growth in the U.S. solar industry.